Deadline to apply: April 1, 2020
The Hot Springs Cultural Alliance will hold the fourth annual sidewalk chalk event on Saturday, April 25, from 8 AM – 12 PM, during Arts & The Park – Art Springs. The theme for this year is “My Favorite Character.”
Chalk Walk 2020 offers 3 divisions:
- Student Division: Student teams of 2-5 students, are registered by grade levels: K-3, 4-6, 7-8, 9-12.
- Family Division: Family teams of 3-5 people from the same ‘family’ (cousins, brothers, sisters, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles). Family teams require either an adult member of the team or an adult sponsor.
- Adult Division: 18 years and up, individual artists and teams of up to 3 adult artists
All divisions are free to enter but all entrants must pre-register to ensure space and materials.
The Chalk Walk competition will take place on the Reserve and Spring Street sidewalks adjacent to Hill Wheatley Plaza in Hot Springs, AR. Judging will take place between 12 – 1:30 PM, with winners announced at the Art Springs stage @ 1:45 PM.
There will be no parking at Hill Wheatley Plaza. School buses will need to park near the convention center, Bank OZK Arena. There will be a free, creative expression area for children Pre-K and under with adult supervision on the Art Springs event grounds.
Student Division: Prizes will be given to the winners selected from each division, along with one prize for the overall People’s Choice Award. 1st Place $100; 2nd Place $50; 3rd place $25. One Peoples Choice Award of $50 will be given.
Family Division and Adult Division prizes will be announced in March 2020 and depend on the number of registered teams.
Rules for all Divisions:
- Artist teams may use a drawing or photo from which to base their art. The theme is “My Favorite Character”.
- Designs must fit within the designated sidewalk square provided. Do not draw additional sketches on adjacent sidewalk spaces.
- Drawing must cease at the end of the competition time.
- Only non-oil based washable chalk may be used.. No acrylic paints, liquid pastels, oil-based pastels, etc. will be allowed.
- Designs must be “family friendly.” No nudity or sexually suggestive art. No gang-related art. No art depicting violence, racism, or other characterization deemed inappropriate.
All materials brought by the artist teams shall be removed from the event premises at the end of art making.
Student Division Information:
- Teams should consist of 2-5 students with a team sponsor/adult.
- Team sponsors must obtain parental permission for each student and turn in permissions on day of event.
- Chalk will be provided by the organizers, however teams may bring additional chalk. NOTE bring charcoal for additional black.
Family Division Information:
- Teams should consist of 2-5 related family members (see description above.)
- Family teams must turn in signed permission slips for participants under age 18.
- Family teams will provide their own chalk and soft pastels. No oil based media permitted.
- Artists may register for an individual space or as a group, up to 3 artists/space.
- Each entered Adult Artist/team will receive one prepared 4’x5′ canvas.
- Artist/teams will provide their own chalk and soft pastels.
Day of the Event
- All teams must check in at the registration table behind the Hot Springs Visitors Center between 8 am and 9 am.
- All participants under age of 18 must turn in a signed permission slip.
- Teams will be assigned a team number and sidewalk space or canvas as above.
- Team members will receive ID tags. Each participating student shall wear ID on his or her back.
- Artists may begin drawing at 9 am.
- Drawings must be finished at 12 PM. If not finished, all drawing activity must end and the art will be judged as is.
- Lunch is “on your own”. There will be food trucks at Art Springs. There is limited seating but there are grassy areas around the festival grounds.
- Judging will occur between 12-1:30 PM.
- Awards will be announced @ 1:45 PM on the Art Springs stage. Teams are encouraged to be present for the award announcements.
Additional things to consider bringing:
Additional chalk, charcoal, Sunscreen, Design, Grid/Pattern, Trash bag for waste, Kneepads, Cameras, Drinking water for team members, Canopy in case of rain, Lunches
Chalk Walk Entry Form
Deadline to enter: April 1, 2020