Deadline to apply: April 7, 2017
The Hot Springs Cultural Alliance will hold the second annual sidewalk chalk event on Saturday, May 5, from 8 AM – 12 PM, during Arts & The Park- Art Springs. The Theme for this year is “The Art of Literacy.” This is a free, judged sidewalk chalk event for students in grades kindergarten through twelfth grades. Judging will take place between 12 – 1:30 PM, with winners announced at the Art Springs stage at 2 PM. The event will take place on the sidewalks adjacent to Hill Wheatley Plaza in Hot Springs, AR. There will be no parking at Hill Wheatley Plaza. School buses will need to park near the convention center, Bank of the Ozarks Arena and students will need to walk to Hill Wheatley Plaza.
Students will be divided into the following divisions: K-3, 4-6, 7-8, 9-12
Prizes will be given to the winner selected from each division, along with one prize for the overall People’s Choice Award.
There will be a free, creative expression area for children Pre-K and under with adult supervision.
- Teams should consist of 2-5 students.
- Team sponsors must obtain parental permission for each student and show permissions on day of event.
- Artist teams may use a drawing or photo from which to base their art. The theme is “The Art of Literacy” so all entries must be related to literature.
- Designs must fit within the 4’x4’ designated sidewalk square provided.
- Chalk will be provided by the organizers, however students may bring additional chalk. NOTE bring charcoal for additional black.
- Only non-oil based washable chalk may be used in your design. No acrylic paints, liquid pastels, oil-based pastels, etc. will be allowed.
- Designs must be “family friendly.” No nudity or sexually suggestive art. No gang-related art. No art depicting violence, racism, or other characterization deemed inappropriate.
- All materials brought by the artist teams shall be removed from the event premises at the end of art making.
Day of the Event
- The Sponsors of each pre-registered team must sign in at the Registration Table in Hill Wheatley Plaza, 8 AM – 8:45 AM. Sponsors must show signed permission slips.
- Sponsors will receive team numbers, student ID tags, chalk, sidewalk square assignment and a People’s Choice Award bucket. Each participating student shall wear ID on his or her back.
- Artists may begin drawing at 9 am.
- Drawings must be finished at 12 PM. If not finished, all drawing activity must end and the art will be judged as is.
- Lunch is “on your own”. There will be food trucks at Art Springs. There is limited seating but there are grassy areas around the festival grounds.
- Judging will occur between 12-1:30 PM.
- Awards will be announced @ 2:00 PM on the Art Springs stage. Teams are encouraged to be present for the award announcements.
Additional things to consider bringing:
Approved chalk, charcoal, Sunscreen, Design, Grid/Pattern, Trash bag for waste, Kneepads, Cameras, Drinking water for team members, Canopy in case of rain, Lunches
Chalk Walk Entry Form
Deadline to enter: April 6, 2018