MURAL PROJECT RFQ
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS | Hot Springs Next Mural Project
Release date: October 20, 2021
Budget: $13,000 Deadline: December 17, 2021
Eligibility: Any artist or team of artists with public art or mural experience may submit a proposal.
Scope of Work: Hot Springs Area Cultural Alliance in partnership with the property owner is pleased to extend this invitation and request for proposals for a mural project to be executed on the upper portion of the north wall adjacent 110 Central Avenue where it will be seen by hundreds of thousands of visitors to the Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas every year. Abstract as well as realistic mural concepts will be considered. Artists submitting project ideas are encouraged to draw inspiration from the many attributes that have consistently made Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas a unique and popular destination including, but not limited to, nature, hospitality, thermal springs, landmarks, and history.
The project proposal must contain the following:
- A typed project narrative, which includes the artist statement, contact information, timeline and subcontracted artists (if needed). Installation can begin in Spring 2022 with final installation no later than September 2022.
- Scaled drawings, sketches, or other documents as necessary to present a meaningful representation of the concept. Color, content, technique, and any other details should be conveyed.
- Preliminary itemized budget, such as, artist fee, materials, travel-related expenses, insurance, and any other associated costs.
- Resume and up to 10 examples of previously completed work.
- Completed applicant’s materials should be submitted digitally via email to email@example.com. Please compile the proposal into a single PDF document. Hardcopy packets and CD-ROMs WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- Submittal of all required application materials as outlined in the RFP;
- Attention to context: architectural, historical, geographical, and cultural;
- Proven ability to create distinctive site specific artwork as exhibited by past work;
- Originality: creativity and uniqueness of proposed artwork concept for this project;
- Quality and craftsmanship of product as exhibited by past work;
- Maintainability: structural and surface soundness, durability and resistance to vandalism,
weathering, excessive maintenance, repair costs;
- Appropriateness for placement on an urban pedestrian site and ability for artwork to withstand
public interaction where it can be touched;
- Public safety, and compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act; and
- Feasibility: artist’s proven track record/ability to complete the work on time and within budget.
The wall is 28’ tall and 45’ long, beginning approximately 10 feet from the bottom. All dimensions provided are approximate. The top portion of the façade may be used for the Mural. Inspection of the site is suggested or photos are available upon request if inspection is not possible.
Applicants will be notified as to the status of their application. Commissioning of artists and the pursuit of all mural activities are implemented without preference to racial or ethnic origins, gender, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, disability or age. Hot Springs Area Cultural Alliance and other parties associated with the project reserves the right to modify this solicitation and to request additional information from participating artists. Hot Springs Area Cultural Alliance and other parties associated with the project reserves the right to accept or reject, at any time prior to the commissioning of a work, any or all proposals when the acceptance, rejection, waiver or advertisement would be in the best interest of the project. In addition, Hot Springs Area Cultural Alliance and other parties associated with the project will be responsible for all correspondence and communication by and between applicants and members of selection panels. Discussion regarding these projects by and between any applicant and any member of a selection panel outside of regularly scheduled meetings during the selection process may be grounds for the disqualification of the applicant. Such determination shall be at the discretion of Hot Springs Area Cultural Alliance and other parties associated with the project .